Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Roman Holiday

So this past weekend I went to Italy for my cousin Audra's wedding. I flew into Naples, and stayed there for a day. While there I was able to go to Pompei, which was super cool!!!! That place was huge! Most of the ancient city is all ruins, and the only things left are the paved roads, walls and foundations. But some of the structures are very well preserved, and some of the walls have the original frescos. It was gorgeous! But aside from Pompei, Naples was not very exciting. It was actually quite dirty, and a bit seedy. So I made sure I was in my hotel room beofre dark.

The next day, I met up with the wedding party and we took a scary van ride to the Amalfi coast, winding along the cliffside. But It was so beautiful! There were a lot of clouds, and it actually rained, but it was still gorgeous. The wedding was in a lovely hotel, and the ceremony was held inside a cloister type place. It was supossed to be outside on a tower overlooking the sea, but the weather did not permit. BUt it all worked out, and the bride and groom were happy. But Audra looked gorgeous in her vintage style wedding dress, and Michael was very dashing in his tux. And the dinner was the most expensive meal I have ever had in my life! But let me tell you, those Italians know how to do food!!!!

After the  wedding, I went back to Naples to saty one more night, and then on Sat morning I took a train to Rome. Rome was big, and alot less scary than Naples. I loved seeing all of the old buildings and random statues everywhere. The Vatican museum was fabulous and the Sistine Chapel was breathtaking! The Trevie Fountain was also gorgeous.

On Sunday, I was about to get on a train to the colosseum, and I ran into to Canadian girls about my age. We chated for a bit, and then we decided to continue our adventures together. So we went to the colloseum, the Forum, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, and then got some gelato. It was so much fun and I am really glad I ran into them. I enjoyed traveling by myself, but after a while, I got pretty lonely. So I am so greatful for that tender mercy.

The language barrier was not too much of a problem, but sometimes it made things difficult. But it all worked out in the end. It also made for some great stories.
But here are some pics of my Italian adventures!




Pompei, with a view of the Napolian moutains in the background


The ominous Mt Visuvius


Amalfi





Me, on the Amalfi coast





TrevieFountain. And Yes, I did throw in a coin so I can return to Rome someday.




On the Spanish Steps with my new Canadian friends Ann and Michaela.





No comments:

Post a Comment