Sunday, September 25, 2011

Stonehenge, Sailsbury and Hyde Park

This weekend has been quite busy! I have been trying to keep up on homework, but then I get disracted by big rocks and old cathedrals, so needless to say, me papers have been neglected. But on Friday the school took us to Stonehenge and Sailsbury (pronounced Sauls-bury). Stonehenge was really rather impressive. They told us the old cave type people who were hunter gatheres finally settled near there, and that is where they woudl bury their dead, cuz I guess they could sense the "good vibes" from that place, so there are now hundreds of mounds of earth, wich are really mass graves. Very interesting. But why woudl these people build stonehenge? It was really a remarkable feat to accomplish, so they m have had some reason. But perhaps it was just a bunch of bored teenagers who got the idea to build this rock fortress so they could confuse people thousnads of years in the future. Or maybe it was the aliens. Who knows? But it was really cool!!!

After that, we drove another 45 minutes to the town of Sailsbury. It was so cute and quaint. It reminded me of Belgium, with the small shops and old buildings. That is where I ate my first pie here in England. It was super good too!!!! But Sailsbury is famous for their cathedral. It has the tallest spire in all of England. It is an early Gothic cathedral, and it was absolutely gorgeous! The stained glass windows were especially stunning. And it was so cool, because it is still an operating church, so while we were there, the priest got on the loud speaker, and gave a preayer. So we all stood silent for a moment of prayer, and then afterward, the organist started  to play a haunting hymn. It was so cool, and it was like the music transported us back in time! But I was able to learn a lot about gothic arcitecture and such. I loved it!

Saturday, I spent the day in Hyde Park. It is so huge! My friends and I walked around for a bit in Kensington Gardens, and then had a picnic. We then rented some bikes, and rode around for a bit too. But it was so fun to to spend a day of liesure at the park with the locals. It was so crowded! Lots of people come to jog and walk thier dogs.

Today I went to two church services. The first one I attended was at Westminster Abbey. It was such a fun experience. I have never been to a catholic or anglican service before, and it was really interesting. I loved hearing the music though. The organ and choir filled the whole church with their songs of praise. And seeing all of the priests and deacons in their elaborate robes was like stepping back in time. The whole ceremony is filled with pagentry. And it is impossible to fall asleep during one of these services because you are constintly having to stand up and sit down, and sing a hymn or something. It is very interactive. But quite facinating. I am so glad I went.

Afterwards, I had a little time to waste before my normal church service, so I took a quick tour around part of the Natural History Museum. I didnt get to see much of it, but it seemed very nice.

The singles ward was fun. I met a lot more people today (including more cute British boys!)  But it is so good to know that no matter where you are in the world, you will always find fellow brothers and sisters in the gosple that will help you and befriend you. The church is true, no matter where you are!

And I have been wearing my nice heeled boots all day, so my feet are a bit sore. But I did have a fabulous day!

But here are some pics of my recent adventures!
Cheers!









So Aparently, if you hug this rock, you will pick up the good energy from stonehenge. I dont know if it worked. But it was worth a shot!




Its a bit out of order, but this is me and my buddies on the steps of the Prince Albert Memorial in Hyde Park.


Ok, so this creepy statue is on the outside of the Sailsbury cathedral. They were having an art exposition there, this artist sculpted various life-like statues. And then, someone thought it woudl be funny if they placed these creepy statues all over the church. Weird, I know. So I had to get a pic!




Sailsbury Cathedral




So this picture was taken inside the cathedral. We were all standing in a dark part of the church, when all of a sudden, a radient light from heaven shone down through the vaulted windowand rested on me. The organ played and the choirs sang, and I felt like an angel who had touched down on that sacred ground.
Actually, im just kidding.
But the light really did shine on me like that. It was pretty cool.


This is the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain in Hyde Park, and we got to play in it! It was so much fun! The water was freezing! But now I can say that I jumped in a fountain!


ramdom pic on bridge in Hyde Park


This is Kensington Gardens, just outside Kensington Palace. If I were to sit somewhere and wait for Mr Darcy (or in my case Mr Tilney) I woudl wait here. It is so cute!!!



Me and Chucky at the Natural History Museum. And this is me modeling my new dress that I bought here on Oxford Street. What do ya think?


No comments:

Post a Comment